Thursday, May 19, 2011

Turkey Sausage Tomato Sauce & Rotini Pasta

I decided at the last minute to cook dinner last night instead of relying on a frozen dinner or a pbj sandwich. I had the ingredients to make Jennie-O's turkey sausage spirals so I figured I would go ahead and make this. I started out making the recipe and it was going good but then I got to part 3 and it says the sauce needs to cook for at least an HOUR. Excuse me...I do not have that kind of time. So I quickly had to improvise and move to plan b. Plan b consisted of incorporating similar recipes from Skinny Taste and Weight Watchers. In the end I came out with a good dinner! More importantly I have lunch for today!! I love leftovers!!


Ingredients:
Directions:
  • Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. 
  • Add chopped onion, sliced bell pepper, garlic, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent. 
  • Remove the casings from the sausage and add to skillet. Cook sausage until browned. 
  • When the sausage is browned and cooked through, add crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil. 
  • Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 5 minutes. 
  • Serve 1/2 cup sauce over 1 cup cooked rotini pasta or your favorite whole wheat pasta
  • Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese over each serving and enjoy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...